Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Increasing Romantic Comedy Films for Men

                       (500) Days of Summer


Cinema has seen some interesting thematic changes over the past decade. The rise of 3D is one; the dominance of dark, brooding heroes in morally complex tales another. For a third, you could probably argue for the endless stream of sequels, prequels and spinoffs that dominate the multiplexes. But today, I’d like to talk about a more subtle development, and one that you might not have noticed. Today, I’d like to talk about the new recent direction of romanctic films, and about the Rise of the ManCom (and no, that’s not the title of the next Transformers movie).

I’ll be the first to admit that I’m a sucker for a love story. Not any love story, mind – I’d much rather drink vomit from my shoes than watch The Notebook, or be kicked in the balls repeatedly over watching anything starring Sarah Jessica Parker. Romantic cinema needs to be more than emotional manipulation, or heartless, soulless stereotyping. It needs to tap into something more.

Read more

For more information about a wonderful romantic comedy please visit What Would Meg Do?

No comments:

Post a Comment